The WNY&P main line extends for 190 miles from Hornell, on New York’s southern tier to Meadville in northwestern Pennsylvania. A branch 90 miles long branch extends from Machias, NY to North Drifwood, PA., cresting the Allegany Mountains at Keating Summit. This intersects the Hornell-Meadville line at Olean, the location of the company’s operations headquarters and locomotive maintenance facility. Other branches serve industries in the Oil City, PA area and a refinery at Farmers’a valley, PA. Interchange is made with Norfolk Southern at Hornell, Meadville and North Driftwood, and with Buffalo & Pittsburgh RR at Salamanca, NY and Corry, PA. Interchange is also conducted with Oil Creek & Titusville Line (OCTL) at Rouseville, PA and Canadian Pacific Railway via NS haulage to Hornell. The WNY&P main line includes portions of Erie Railroad’s historic broad gauge route that date back to 1852. The Machias-Driftwood line is a portions of the former Pennsylvania Railroad Buffalo Line.
WNY&P began independent operations in 2001 after concluding a long term lease with Norfolk Southern and obtaining certain property tax abatements granted by Southern Tier Extension Rail Authority (STERA). In addition to its leasehold, WNY&P hold title to a 42-mile segment of its route (Corry to Meadville). Since start up, some 26 million has been invested to upgrade track and structures – including installation of 15 miles of welded rail and over 125,000 cross- ties. The investment involved state and federal grants, private capital and reinvestment of the 45G railroad maintenance tax credit.
Western New York & Pennsylvania RR is a limited liability company, controlled by Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR Corp. of Lakeville, NY.